Maximizing your marketing strategy to drive revenue results should be the goal of every marketing department. A comprehensive digital marketing strategy helps outline the online channels and tactics you will leverage to achieve those goals. Consider the many ways your digital marketing plan can help your organization reach its marketing and sales goals collectively through integrated channels and programs that align with your business objectives. At a high level, your digital marketing strategy should address the following:
• Brand awareness.
• Audience growth.
• Digital engagement.
• Lead generation.
• Content amplification.
• Sales engagement.
• Customer retention.
How can you develop a cohesive marketing strategy and tactical plan to achieve those goals and measure your marketing for continued long-term success? Here are five ways you can optimize your digital strategy to achieve revenue results.
1. Amplify your content.
Quality content is an essential element for a strong, comprehensive digital marketing strategy. However, it doesn’t stop at simply creating content. Your content will only benefit your digital marketing and help you improve your performance if you have a consistent and structured amplification strategy.
Content amplification tells your audience, such as your followers, prospects and customers, that you have new content (or existing content) that is helpful and beneficial for them to engage with online. A cohesive content amplification strategy will help you maximize each piece of content you create to reach your target audience when and where it’s most convenient for them. Consider how you can let your audience know about your new content, such as blogs, videos, podcasts, e-books, case studies, and more:
• Email the contacts in your database the latest content that is relevant to them.
• Share your content on your company’s social media pages, so they can see the latest information your team has created.
• Consider ads on social media to ensure you’re targeting the right prospects to engage with your content and subscribe to receive more information.
• Finally, don’t forget to leverage your website to amplify your content. When you have a new video, blog, e-book, and more, use pop-ups or calls to action throughout your site so people can quickly access your latest content.
2. Optimize your email strategy.
When it comes to making sure you connect with your prospects and customers, email marketing is an effective and cost-efficient way to achieve that goal. You may hear that email marketing is a thing of the past. That is not the case if you use email effectively. Here are some tips to make sure you optimize your email program to enhance your digital marketing strategy:
• Segment your contacts so your emails only go to the contacts who will find the specific piece of content most valuable.
• Shorten your subject lines and be clear about the email content’s value proposition to encourage open rates.
• Ensure your emails are concise and include a call to action to take the reader to the next stage in your funnel.
• Personalize your email content as much as possible.
• Consider send-time optimization to make sure your readers receive emails at the most appropriate time.
3. Build thought leadership.
Thought leadership secures your spot as an expert within your industry. Utilize your digital channels to communicate thought leadership articles and curated content that will benefit your audience. Sharing this content can solidify your place as a thought leader, build brand trust and loyalty, and keep your audience engaged with your content. Tips for building thought leadership include:
• Write helpful and relevant blog articles.
• Share your content on social media through your company channels and personal profiles such as your sales team, leadership team and more.
• Curate content and share your content through a newsletter with your prospects and customers.
4. Focus on giving back.
Uniting your loyal prospect and customer base around a cause is a great way to build awareness and generate engagement. Consider how your organization can participate in cause marketing initiatives where your promotional activities serve the dual purpose of increasing exposure while bettering society. Ways you can add this element to your marketing strategy include:
• Focus on a national celebration day, week or month and build marketing awareness around this event. It could be Rare Disease Day for health care organizations, Patient Safety Awareness Week, Women’s History Month, Black History Month and more.
• Consider the organizations you can give back to while promoting these awareness events or celebrations to your database.
• Add marketing components to your digital strategy for these activities, such as sharing statistics on social media, engaging in a collaborative webinar and letting your followers know how they can support these organizations.
5. Create virtual experiences.
Virtual experiences allow prospects to experience a product or service without being there. As you know, the virtual experience has become one of the primary ways people have been engaging with one another over the past year due to Covid, and that will likely continue for the next several months, if not longer. It is not enough to simply host a webinar and expect great results, because everyone has that same idea. Here are some tips to help you create a memorable virtual experience:
• Incorporate fun and engaging moments into a virtual experience, so it doesn’t just focus on a speaker or panel giving a presentation.
• Send your registrants a virtual coffee or even a lunch to enjoy during the event, so it makes it a little more unique and stands out.
• Follow up after the event with actionable next steps, such as another piece of content or an opportunity to connect with your team.
• Allow for virtual networking because individuals miss the “people” element of business, encouraging participation.
There are many elements to consider when developing a comprehensive digital strategy. Think about how you can leverage new and existing content throughout your digital channels to promote your brand, thought leadership and engagement. A cohesive digital strategy will encompass all relevant channels to ensure your content reaches the right audience, at the right place, at the right time.